Friday, July 8, 2011

Baked Zita Pasta


Comment – I had never tried Baked Zita pasta until I went to Rome. It was on display in a deli and I ordered it thinking it was lasagna.  Since then I have learned that the dish is a staple food in most American homes. The pasta used seems to be the only difference between this dish and lasagna. I have tried making Baked Ziti with all different kinds of pasta at home. My husband likes Rotini the best.

1/2 lb. of turkey burger
1 lb ziti pasta or whatever you prefer
1 large can tomato sauce (at least)
15 oz Ricotta Cheese
1 egg
1/2 lb. mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
seasoning – basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, creole seasoning or salt, pepper, garlic seasoning, onion seasoning, thyme.


Directions -
Step 1 = cook turkey burger. You can add extra onion and garlic at this point if you want. On a separate skillet cook sliced mushrooms. Set turkey burger and mushrooms aside to cool when done cooking.
Step 2 = Mix ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, egg, and cooled mushrooms, turkey burger.
Step 3 = Add oil to a new skillet. Saute onions for 2 minutes, add garlic for 30 sec, add tomato sauce and season to taste.
Step 4 = boil noodles for half of the time the box instructions call for. I usually boil my 9 minute pasta for 5 minutes. The reason is because it will continue to cook while it bakes.
Step 5 = Mix ricotta mixture in with noodles once they’ve finished cooking.
Step 6 = Layer tomato sauce (1/3 of your total amount), pasta (1/2 your pasta mixture), tomato sauce (1/3), 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, pasta (last 1/2 of your mixture), sauce (last 1/3), mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup).
Step 7 = bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
Note – I like to serve mine with a little sour cream on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment