Friday, July 8, 2011

Spun Sugar

 
Comment – I love making things out of spun sugar. I think the garnish adds so much to the presentation of desserts. You can be creative and make designs and mold the caramel anyway you want. I found the recipe online on the Southern Living website. I omit the lemon drop candies.

To make the baskets -
Spray oil on the back of a metal ladle spoon. Dip a whisk in the caramel and quickly move it back and forth over your ladle. The faster you move the thinner the lines of caramel will be. Cut the pieces that hang over the ladle edge with scissors. Flip the spoon over after a couple of minutes and the caramel basket will slide into the palm of your hand. Set on parchment paper. I store them in tubberware until I need to use them.
 
To make a ball out of spun sugar -
This is messy so I would recommend covering everything with newspaper in your working area. See YouTube video to learn the technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment