Friday, July 8, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Mousse with Ginger Crumb Crust


Comment: This dessert exceeded my expectations. The cinnamon spice in the Mexican chocolate Mousse paired well with the spice in the ginger cookie crust. The Mousse was melt in your mouth creamy and had a spiced, light chocolate flavor. I brought the dessert to a BBQ and one of my friends who tried it said “I give this dessert an A” grade. I received a few more complements and think it is probably the best dessert I have made so far using Mexican Chocolate.  If you don’t know what Mexican Chocolate is, then google “Ibarra”.


Mousse Recipe

Note – For the chocolate I added 3 Tbsp regular semi sweet chocolate chips and 2 triangles of mexican chocolate. I disolved the mexican chocolate into the milk before adding any other ingredients. I also added 2 Tbsp of butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper. I did not have heavy cream, so I used whip cream that came in an 8 oz tube. I should note that I took out 1 cup of the whip cream for something else earlier in the week so I did not use the whole tube for this recipe.

Ginger Cookie Recipe -

I used oil instead of butter when making the cookies. I added fresh nutmeg and cloves to the spice mix.

Crust -
The crust was made with the ginger cookies that I baked and then pulvarized in the blender. I added 1/4 cup of butter to the crumbs and patted them down in my 9″ round springform pan. I baked the crust for about 8 minutes at 350 degrees F. I think I used 2 or 3 cups of gingerbread crumbs for the crust.

Final Note – I recommend putting this dessert in the freezer overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment