Friday, July 8, 2011

Chocolate Cake with Coconut Tuile and Strawberry sauce


Comment – I made this dessert as part of our anniversary dinner this year. Here is a funny quote from my husband about it  – “Imagine swimming across a sea of strawberry sauce to devour a chocolate lava cake island and all the coconut tuile/strawberry foliage. If you can imagine that, you’ve walked in my shoes.”

I got this lava cake recipe off a box and it didn’t say how long to cook the individual cakes. So, I baked them for 30 min and the chocolate inside was gooey but not a liquid consistency like I wanted. I will probably bake them for 20 minutes next time. The cakes were still good. They tasted like brownies with a gooey center. The tuile bowls remind me of sugar cones with the addition of toasted coconut. They were so good!

This is my favorite tuile recipe so far and it comes from one of Roy Yamaguchis cookbooks. If you don’t want to buy the book you could use a different tuile recipe and sprinkle coconut over the dough before baking. Most of the recipes I have seen suggest that you bake the tuiles for up to 15 min. I make my tuiles about as thin as crepes and I wouldn’t cook them longer then 10 minutes. I turn the pan in the oven after 5 minutes so the tuiles cook evenly and start checking them every minute after 7 minutes of cooking time to make sure they don’t burn. You want to wait for the golden brown color, but you will know if you have cooked them too long if the coconut starts to burn. It is easier to cook one or two tuiles at a time since you have to work fast with them or they will harden. Also, they need to be stored in a container or plastic bag if you want them to stay crunchy and they are very fragile.
I got the lava cake recipe off of the box on my molten cake pan and would recommend this pan to anyone. You can find better deals online if you google “molten cake pan”. Once you get it you can make individual desserts, salads, and savory dishes that look amazing. The bottoms are removable which I think is awesome.

The strawberry sauce is just a blended mixture of 1 pint strawberries and 2 Tbsp of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment